Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Shining Girls-Art Auction in aid of Rape Crisis

I was recently invited to make work for a charity art show for rape crisis.
The inspiration is Lauren Beukes's new novel The Shining Girls. (www.theshininggirls.com)
Invited artists were sent pages from the actual novel and asked to respond to the excerpts they received or the title of the novel in general.
The opening is on Friday 6th September, see invite for details. Anyone is welcome so bring your friends and by investing in art you help Rape Crisis as well.


This was my response:

This was such unexpectedly interesting paper to work on. It sucked up the ink like a tissue and I decided to leave them very gentle and fragile for obvious reasons.
I looked at my archive of snapshots of Cape Town city scenes that I take on a regular basis from the top floors of parking lots; people scurrying to and from work or eagerly back home. I looked carefully for women whose pose and demeanor suited the title. So these are all Cape Town ladies on a private mission, their identities remaining anonymous and their potential in question.




No comments: