Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sprinklers and Hosepipes





Finally I am posting some pics of the work I made at Nirox.

Nirox is a very beautiful garden wonderland. It struck me after the second morning I ambled down to my studio, that the estate is maintained by a squadron of men who constantly seem to be moving sprinklers, mowing the vast areas of lawn and raking the gravel paths.
It is a carefully considered and constructed environment that needs to be attended constantly.

I made 3 conte drawings on tissue paper which play with the traditional, romantic landscape sketch, the type that Constable may have made in preparation for his masterful paintings. Except that in these, the staff are present as shadowy figures lurking behind trees and pulling on hoses. Always present in the garden of a privileged South African.

No comments: